What is an exercise physiologist?
An exercise physiologist is an allied health professional that specialises in helping clients to improve their fitness, manage their weight or manage chronic disease or injury.
Exercise physiologists treat a wide range of conditions, including obesity, arthritis, cancer and diseases (cardiovascular, musculoskeletal, neurological). Exercise physiology can also help people with multiple sclerosis, muscular dystrophy and intellectual disability. For people with disability, exercise physiology can help them to become more independent, increase mobility and achieve optimal health.
Many people confuse exercise physiology with physiotherapy, but the main difference is that exercise physiologists provide a more ‘hands-off’ approach. Exercise physiologists offer a variety of services, including behavioural coaching, health education, exercise counselling and physical rehabilitation. They also design tailored training programs to optimise clients’ physical functions.
Exercise physiologists collaborate closely with clients, their families and carers to provide a comprehensive assessment of their physical, health and wellness requirements and identify the best course of action.
What we offer (including our registered NDIS categories):
LiveBig is registered for the following NDIS categories for exercise physiology:
|Registration Group Name||Support Category No.||Support Category Name||Support Item No.||Support Item Description|
|Exercise Physiology & Personal Well-being Activities||12||Improved health and wellbeing||12_027_0126_3_3||Individual advice to a participant regarding exercise required due to the impact of their disability|
|Exercise Physiology &|
|15||Improved daily living skills||15_200_0126_1_3||Individual advice to a participant regarding exercise required due to the impact of their disability|
We understand that individual clients’ exercise physiology needs can be vastly different. We carefully evaluate your needs and liaise with you to recommend the best treatment options and delivery method to help you achieve your goals.
We collaborate with you and your support team to establish clear goals within your NDIS therapy plan. We regularly review progress and assess outcomes, setting new objectives along the way, ensuring that you are always advancing to the next level.
We treat all plan options the same – whether you are self-managed, plan-managed or NDIA managed. To provide the best possible service, we also offer flexible arrangements. We involve you and your carers in the decision-making process at every step of the way, ensuring you get the most from your NDIS plan.
Download the exercise physiology info sheet
Why would you need exercise physiology services as part of your NDIS plan?
You will need exercise physiology services as part of your NDIS plan if you are at risk of developing or have an existing medical condition that impairs your physical movement abilities or causes problems with your weight and overall health.
Examples of this may include:
- If you or your family member has a spinal cord injury following a car accident and needs help learning to walk again
- If you or your family member has an acquired brain injury after a fall and needs to improve balance, strength and coordination
- If you or your family member has cerebral palsy and needs help with muscle relaxation techniques
- If you or your family member has down syndrome and needs support to become more active
- If you or your family member has multiple sclerosis and would like to reduce the risk of further complications or delay progression due to inactivity
We help you to meet your NDIS goals by working closely with you and your carers to improve the quality of your life. We achieve this by setting realistic goals and focussing on incremental achievements, continuously working to progress you to the next level.
How do we provide your services?
- We travel to your home, community venue or provide services through our RMReach telehealth platform
- Charge for travel time up to 30 minutes is as per the NDIS Price Guide
- If we are unable to meet face-to-face, we also provide telehealth services through our RMReach telehealth platform
- RMReach telehealth platform can also be used to maintain development in between visits for regular clients
We can provide access to our award-winning innovative program StepUpToday. This program is delivered via an app that assists NDIS clients with improving their function, independence and wellbeing through meaningful and tailored goal setting around everyday activities.
Do you need an exercise physiology assessment?
If you have an NDIS plan review or are in the process of getting your first plan done, you may need an assessment and subsequent report to support your case in meeting your goals.