What is an occupational therapist?
Occupational therapists use a whole person approach to working with people, helping them complete daily activities with a sense of accomplishment and purpose. The term occupation in occupational therapy refers to the everyday activities that people do by themselves, in their families and within communities to occupy their time. These daily occupations give meaning to life and occupational therapists assist people who need it to do all the things they want to do and are expected to do in life.
"The essence of being an occupational therapist is therapy for what occupies your time. That means we can address and be a part of rehabilitating the whole person. We can be involved in self-care and normal daily activities, both life skills and leisure. All of these activities are so important for a person’s wellbeing and quality of life, all of these activities are extremely important to me and I love that I can be a part of helping someone to get their life back." - Marcella Romero, LiveBig Founder and Managing Director.
Occupational therapists collaborate closely with clients, their families and carers to provide a comprehensive assessment of their everyday skills requirements and identify the best course of action.
What we offer (including our registered NDIS categories):
LiveBig is registered for the following NDIS categories for occupational therapy:
|Registration Group Name||Support Category No.||Support Category Name||Support Item No.||Support Item Description|
|Therapeutic Supports||15||Improved daily living skills||15_056_0128_1_3||Assessment, Recommendation, Therapy And/Or Training (Incl. AT) - Other Therapy|
We understand that individual clients’ occupational therapy needs can be vastly different. We carefully evaluate your needs and select the correct treatment and delivery method to help you to develop optimal physical health.
We collaborate with you and your support team to establish clear goals within your NDIS therapy plan. We regularly review progress and assess outcomes, setting new objectives along the way, ensuring that you are always advancing to the next level.
We treat all plan options the same – whether you are self-managed, plan-managed or NDIA managed. To provide the best possible service, we also offer flexible arrangements. We involve you and your carers in the decision-making process at every step of the way, ensuring you get the most from your NDIS plan.
Download the occupational therapy info sheet
Why would you need occupational therapy services as part of your NDIS plan?
You will need occupational therapy services as part of your NDIS plan if you are struggling to perform everyday tasks, negatively impacting your independence.
Examples of this may include:
- If you or your family member needs assistance with activities of daily living
- If you or your family member have acquired an injury and need to devise new ways of to perform tasks
- If you or your family member have a disability and need to your home environment adapted accordingly
- If you or your family member have been injured or have developed a disease that results in you needing a wheelchair or other supports, and you need help learning how to use the new equipment
- If you or your family member needs improving fine motor skills, strength and coordination
We help you to meet your NDIS goals by working closely with you and your carers to improve the quality of your life. We achieve this by setting realistic goals and focussing on incremental achievements, continuously working to progress you to the next level.
How do we provide occupational therapy services?
- We travel to your home, community venue or provide services through our RMReach telehealth platform
- Charge for travel time up to 30 minutes is as per the NDIS Price Guide
- If we are unable to meet face-to-face, we also provide telehealth services through our RMReach telehealth platform
- RMReach telehealth platform can also be used to maintain development in between visits for regular clients
We can provide access to our award-winning innovative program StepUpToday. This program is delivered via an app that assists NDIS clients with improving their function, independence and wellbeing through meaningful and tailored goal setting around everyday activities.
Did you know that even a small change in someone’s daily living skills can make a huge difference in their life? Watch LiveBig’s OT Jessica provides an insight into what occupational therapy and how the small things in life can be therapeutic
Do you need an occupational therapy assessment?
If you have an NDIS plan review or are in the process of getting your first plan done, you may need an assessment and subsequent report to support your case in meeting your goals.